[TRANS] 161101 StarNews Interview - UNIQ Seungyoun "The reason for giving up on football at Brazil is?"

November 01, 2016

"I'm downloading it now. Can you use other computers first? Please." 

Once at a Brazilian football youth team dormitory room, where PC rooms were shared publicly. Teenager Seungyoun begged his friends a favor because it took a whole day just to download it. He's been shameless among his friends, since he could not give up. Studying football on the other side of the world was his only interest. 

Boy group UNIQ Seungyoun left for Brazil during 6th grade during elementary school to play football. In order to succeed in playing football, he played hard. Working hard again and again. However, nostalgia is something that was uncontrollable. Through watching K-pop music, he was able to soothe himself. The internet condition was horrible over there and he had to wait the whole day in order to download a day of music show broadcasts. There was no other way, but to wait. 

"BEAST sunbaenims debuted, then MISS A sunbaenims debuted too not long after. U-Kiss sunbaenims were doing their "Man Man Ha Ni" promotions while After School sunbaenims were doing their "Bang" promotions. Music Bank was a program that I've seen a couple of times even though its not fresh in my memory. After watching, I thought to myself that standing on that stage would be very meaningful." 


Seungyoun debuted a singer by being a member of UNIQ in 2014. Standing on that Music Bank stage while watching it over and over again back in Brazil. 

"Standing on that Music Bank stage, when those singers whom I watched back then in Brazil looked at me, it was such a strange sight for me. During rehearsal, the singers performing on that day were watching us from their audience seat. It was really an unforgettable feeling. Although it was just a mere rehearsal, but I did my best. Although it's not real, but I could feel them sort of looking at me. 

Flash forward, although that Brazil teenage football player returned back to his own country, but he debuted in a Korean idol group. However in order to debut as a singer, he has gone through lots of hardship and suffering. During that 3 years after returning from Brazil, he has participated in more than 50 auditions, but he got eliminated again and again. 

"I stayed in Brazil for 2 years, then I came back to Korea. Then I went to Philippines to learn English for a year. I wanted to be a singer, so my parents made me start by learning English. While I'm at Philippines, I'm also waiting for the opportunity to come where I can go auditioning in Korea. I've participated in a few SM, JYP and YG auditions. But each time I went for the auditions, I would be rejected. I even participated in the "2011 Super K3" preliminaries but got eliminated again." 

Seungyoun's hardships and experiences has finally got himself an opportunity to debut under a member of UNIQ. UNIQ's popularity in China was so huge that both of his songs "Baby Ride" and "RECIPE" had continuously ranked 1st in China's biggest music chart. However, they are still very much less known in Korea. Seungyoun also jokingly said, "No one would recognize us even if we drink maekju at Hangang River." 


"During these 2 years there was once where I was being recognized and in fact there were people who said they recognized me. Hence, I was given a lot of freedom to go anywhere I like and it was very convenient for me to meet up with my friends. Ah, not too long ago I went to the amusement park and there was a worker who recognized me and said, "Aren't you UNIQ's Seungyoun?" I was really happy at that time." 

Seungyoun said, "Chinese fans, I really love you all and I'm really thankful to you guys as well but for the people in Korea who recognize and took interests in me, I am even happier than that." In order to be more well known, Seungyoun decided to take up the challenge and participate in variety show. On the 31st of last month, where Seungyoun was full of ambition to challenge variety for the first time on TVN's 'TVNtainer'. During that day of recording, it was a pity that Seungyoun lost to gagman Jung Chanmin and had regretfully gotten 2nd place.

"I was really nervous, but I've given my best. Initially, I was anticipating a little since I've gotten closer in getting first place. Kim Gura sunbaenim has given a hot response, therefore I'm very grateful to him but the results were not enough. Although I only got 2nd place, but I've really learned a lot. In future things will be much easier to be said when I'm an entertainer in the near future. I've also learned how to communicate with others on set." 

Seungyoun's favorite variety show from among the types of variety shows that were broadcasted. 

"I love watching variety shows since young. I really like "Infinite Challenge", "I Live Alone" was quite interesting too. "My Little Television", "Knowing Bros", "SNL", "Ssulzun", "Top Journalists", "Radio Star" etc. I like them all. Previously I watched "We Got Married" quite frequently too, I wouldn't miss "Gag Concert", "People Looking For A Laugh" and "Comedy Big League". Because I had no time so I couldn't watch it live and would also watch the replay ones. I wish to appear on "Three Meals A Day" and also "SNL". 

Although he was unable to become "Entertainer Seungyoun", but he became more indulged in it once we talk about his music,

"Since I'm a member of UNIQ, it is important that I get recognition as a singer. So recently I'm been writing a lot of songs and at the same time I'm doing lots of practices too. UNIQ is expected to appear as a group early next year and we will continue in making songs. Plans of performing in Japan and in America are also in the midst of preparation."

Seungyoun working hard in his variety skills as well as a singer. One of his biggest goals is for his mother's happiness, apart from his own desires. 


"My mom has always been supporting me, she hates it when her own son couldn't lift his head up high just because he has no money, making sure her own son lacks in nothing. Each time I got eliminated or rejected she would always say this to me, "Do what you like to do." My mom would be happy knowing that I don't tire myself out by doing things that I like most. But each time as I hear those words, I feel more sense of pride and not being satisfied, that sense of not letting her be disappointed again. I can't be giving up like how I did with football, to me this was the only thing that was left. I became a singer because I feel proud of myself. But I'm not only that kind of singer, but also to be a singer that is recognized throughout of Korea. I hope that when my mom say "I'm XX's mum", people will immediately recognized who that singer is. 

"Singer Seungyoun" goal is "empathy". 

"My goals is to be a singer that is able to write his own story and to touch the hearts of everyone. Whoever that is able to empathize, that person would feel that it's interesting. In order to grow as this kind of singer, I want to be a singer like Lee Seungcheol sunbaenim and Yoon Jongshin sunbaenim." 

Of course being a member of UNIQ, he doesn't forget his thankfulness and greetings towards fans. 

"Really thankful for the many fans that have waited. To those who have asked. "When will you be releasing a song?" and "When will you be doing activities again in Korea?" I'm really thankful for that. Please wait a while more, we will be bringing a better image and song when we come back." 

original link: here
trans: jiji (@wenjoox) 
Please do not take out without credits. Thank you. 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.