[TRANS] 160729 Xportsnews Interview with Seungyoun and Flowsik

July 29, 2016

◆ Pairing up once again following after the battle mission

SY: While practising for the battle, I travelling by public transportation while thinking about collaborating with Flowsik. I initially compose songs, so I took the song and let Flowsik have a listen and he said that he had something similar in mind with this. I really wanted to make music together with Flowsik so I felt really happy about it.

FS: As I was going through the practice battle with Seungyoun, I felt that the combination of my low pitched tone as well as Seungyoun high pitched tone would not be that bad. I like making music with my good friends too. Seungyoun is a good kid. When Seungyoun and his friends sent the beat over to me, it was like we have naturally came to an agreement.

◆ The composed song works very wells with both musical point of view

FS: It is really worth to be happy when artists are able to make the music that they wanted to make. Therefore we haven’t come across such conflicts before. Looking at Seungyoun is like looking at myself when I was younger. It’s the same as keep up on things and having chances to fall into the charms of music.

SY: I was previous in the junior youth team of Brazil Serie A SC Corinthians. Although I thought that soccer was the path that I’m going to take in the future, but because I like music so my path changed. Flowsik also once played soccer back in the US but later on changed his path because he likes music.

FS: Seungyoun is a good soccer player meanwhile I’m just a substitute player haha. Anyhow, looking at the heart that likes music, Seungyoun who used his heart to make music is just like looking back at my youth.

◆ Let’s talk about “Show Me The Money 5”. Why did you decide to join the show?

SY: Although I had signed up for “Show Me The Money 4”, but because it clashes with UNIQ’s mini album activities so it was a pity that I couldn’t participate it. Other UNIQ members are at China involved in acting and variety to increase their popularity. Although their activities are great but I wish to show myself to the public through my music. At that time it was coincidentally the time to participate in “Show Me The Money 5”. I really want to have my rap skills be acknowledged through this show.

FS: At first I don’t want to participate in “Show Me The Money 5”. I had to let down my pride to participate in this survival game. I thought, “Am I backtracking?” But I thought about where I did hiphop, the country where my parents are and the rap that shows my strength and was not able to try it out in Aziatix. I should really put down my pride. Actually I wanted to be one of the judges, haha. (Q: If you’re invited to be one of the judges?) I will think about it for a while and try to play hard to get. I was just joking, no matter what I will always welcome them. It looks like it will be a good experience for me.

◆ First impression of each other?

SY: I have chosen Flowsik during the 1 VS 1 battle. I wanted to have cool performance on stage together with a handsome hyung, because I have always been a fan of Flowsik ever since I was a trainee. I want to have a cool performance even if it means for me to be eliminated and be praised.

FS: I don’t know how the process on how to understand the flow of Korean music as well as Seungyoun. I was just thinking, “Why did you choose me? But Seungyoun was tall and cool. Apparently he’s a popular person.” But as we make music together I gradually started to be scared. Because Seungyoun’s rap is really amazing. When I heard Seungyoun’s rap I thought, “Ah, I might get eliminated.”

◆ Is filming difficult?

SY: It was really longer than any other time on standby. Because we have to be on standby for 14 hours and didn’t get to sleep either.

FS: But there’s an advantage too. After filming for such a difficult show then other shows will become much easier later on. We’ll be really happy if we get to go to the filming crew’s home haha. Because we have gotten so much of experience and much preparations in such a short period of time, so it became a rap training for us.

◆ Things that you obtain from “Show Me The Money 5”

FS: Getting acknowledged for hiphop in my mother’s country. The dream I had since young has become a reality after 30 years.

SY: Honestly speaking even though I don’t have the victory but there are many people who do great right? Then, everything is worth it.

◆ Were there any good comments?

SY: The public is not that familiar with me and they don’t have much anticipation for me too. There were no evil comments to those “unrecognised” type of people together with Flowsik who is popular. It’s good enough even if it’s just like this. When I saw comments like “both voices are in harmony” and “coolly eliminated”, I felt really happy.

FS: Up till now my Korean is still very rusty, so writing rap lyrics in Korean is difficult. But looking at the audiences who like the Korean lyrics that I wrote, I felt happy because I can finally taste the results of my hard work.

◆ Flowsik who has a strong attachment towards Korea

My root is in Korea. During my stay in America, I was the only Asian among my small group of friends, while the others are black Americans. Naturally they will have prejudice against me, they can’t easily understand Korean culture too. So in the midst of my distress to help them understand Korean culture, I’ve chose K-hiphop, a point of view where the whole world can see. Thus, the contents produced can be put into variety of ways. This is the significance for Seungyoun and I to collaborate together.

◆ How does Korean hiphop give impact that extents to the world?

FS: The level where everyone watches SMTM? I contacted with my friends in the US, they all said that they were watching SMTM. The weird thing is that there is not even a single Korean who watches SMTM, others are all from people of various countries. They watch SMTM with the interests they have for Khiphop and in fact they said that it was very cool.

trans: jiji (@wenjoox)
original article: here

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.