[TRANS] 151118 KOREAPO Interview - "Best Friend"

November 25, 2015


Q: Congratulations on your 1st anniversary since debut!
All: Thank you! (claps)
Q: How do you feel after debuting for a year?
SY: Firstly, we are happy that we can spend the rest of year happily, so I’m thankful to my members and also special thanks to our fans who kept on supporting us. In future we will keep working harder to show our individual cool image.
SJ: I’m also thankful to my members, we did not fight with one another throughout this whole year, we were all like brothers, so we also hope that we can stay like this for the next 10 years or 20 years to come.
YB: Since I’ve been staying together with my members ever since our trainee days, just like what SJ hyung said, because we were like brothers that if we ever get into an argument, we would resolve it immediately. We hope to maintain our relationship like this even in the future. And also be diligent in our activities and to perform a better song for everyone.
YX: After debuting, the 5 of us felt happy the fact that we are able to stand on stage to sing and dance. I also felt blessed because of this. In future our members too will be united in joining efforts together.
WH: We’ve spent the rest of year happily, I would like to continue doing activities with the members in 10 years or even 50 years in the future.

Q: After debuting for a year, which part of the members you think that have grown well?
SY: YX hyung, WH hyung, I’m not quite sure about SJ hyung, but YB and I have grown much taller. (laughs) Our hairstyles have changed, in fact we are more comfortable in answering questions. With more confidence compared to our debut days.
YX: There have been more understandings between the members.
SY: We just have to look into each other’s eyes and we would immediately know what the other person is thinking about. What they like, what they don’t like and we won’t do hateful things to each other. So hence, we will not cause trouble and that has made us grow maturely too.

Q: Reflecting back on the year, what had left a deep impression to you?
SY: Our debut stage. We focus on whatever kind of concept that is and also undergo through discussions on determining the direction of development after this and finally able to finish it smoothly. We are grateful that we have a great start.
WH: Recently we have organized a sports event together with fans in Korea and it left a deep impression on me. It felt like the distance between the fans and I have shortened. We were able to tell each other words that we wanted to express and the intentions that we wanted to relay, and that made me feel really happy.
YB: I have a deep impression towards the sports event too.
ZYX: I was really happy to be able to be a nominee for MTV EMA 2015 Best Mainland China & Hong Kong Act. If only we can be representatives of China, then there would be an opportunity for us to meet with our well-loved and respected American pop singers. But just by having this kind of opportunity, we are already really thankful for the love of fans for us.
SJ: “Best Friend” MV has left a deep impression on me. Because the lyrics were together written by all members and the content of the MV itself has really touched me.  The song itself is really good to listen to, and with that I felt very happy.

Q: Heard that the lyrics of “Best Friend” were all written by the members, what state of mind at that time do you have to write those lyrics?
SJ: We have been living with each other for almost 5 years, so there will be a lot of memories. The amount of time spent together is much more than with our family members or parents and our relationship with each other is like real family. But currently there any things that we are embarrassed to say in front of each other. Because the fact that we like each other and are unable to say it, so hence this song is similar to writing a letter to the members, thus we write those lyrics with this state of mind. 
SY: While writing the lyrics, I’ve thought about lots of things that happened previously. I’ve thought about the scene when I first met everyone and other deep impressions. By starting off with lyrics like “I still remember the day we first met”, writing down the things that happened when we first met until now. Of course there will be interesting things that happened between us members, but it’s for everyone to have that resonance while listening to it too.
WH: YX hyung and I were the ones who wrote the Chinese lyrics, because the first time we met was during autumn, so lyrics were focused on during autumn season.
YX: When I first met the members the first thing I said was “Welcome to UNIQ” so I include this phrase into the lyrics.
SJ: When YX hyung first met SY the first thing he said was “Welcome to UNIQ” and I was like “Wow, so cool.”
SY: The feeling was like this, now that we listen it’s still so pretentious, so just like that the lyrics are written based on what happened during that time.

Q: Moving on, can you guys talk about your first impression of each other, starting from SY’s first impression.
WH: Very cocky…
SY: I don’t think I’m that cocky at first though? (laughs)
WH: A person who’s really talented yet looks like a little child.
YB: Feels like he’s younger than me, but in fact he’s older than me by a year and our birthdays fall on the same day which is really surprising.
YX: I still remember clearly the first time we met when SY was wearing dungarees and he looked very cute, a face where he looks much younger than YB.
SJ: Because I heard that there will be 3 Chinese members, and a Korean is joining the group so I was kind of anticipating it. I felt at peace too because we speak the same language.

Q: Then what about WH’s first impression?
SJ: His hair was really long, like a handsome homeless guy. (laughs)
WH: That was why I kept my hair long…
SY: Keep quiet, I was about to say something! (laughs) In the movie Won Bin sunbaenim kept a long fringe, a hairstyle that covers one part of the eye. It was longer than YB’s current hairstyle.
YB: The first time I met with WH, his hair…
WH: Stop talking about my hair!
All: (broke in laughter)
WH: He kept styling his hair to keep it in order.
WH: Because my hair is thick and it curls naturally, so it’s quite difficult to style it.
YX: WH likes to play sports, especially when it comes to basketball. He would practice long jump every day in the practice room, so that time his physical strength is quite good.
SY: Does it mean that he’s not that good anymore?
YX: He has been aging….. (laughs)
SJ: When I first met WH, he was wearing a very special leopard printed pants and he’s been wearing it almost every day.
WH: I only wear it during practice!
SJ: Must be because you think it’s fashionable by wearing that!
SY: WH hyung really loves flamboyant pants!

Q: What about maknae YB’s first impression?
SY: After seeing him I thought he is the oldest. (laughs) I was also surprised that my birthday falls on the same day as him.
YB: Before knowing SY’s birthday we were still playing computer games together!
SY: YB really likes playing games. There was a time when I kept playing games and later realized that YB was also playing games, and thought that was quite amazing.  
WH: YB’s first impression is a child who doesn’t speak often, but after you get closer to him you would think that he’s really noisy. (laughs) Now the current him looks like a big kid who’s filled with curiosity.
YX: I thought that kid really danced well.
YB: Thank you!
SJ: When I first met YB, the 3 Chinese members were all there. Just like what I said about WH just now where he was very flamboyant and has long hair, YX was wearing a green wifebeater and he wore a wool cap and a wooden necklace. Both of them were really different from each other. YB has this hiphop style and has a great body. He looked cool when he raps so at that time I suddenly felt the urge of performing with them on stage and got closer with them in a short span of time.

Q: So by saying this that among the 3 Chinese members, the best first impression goes to YB!
SJ: Because WH’s eyes are short-sighted so we can’t interact properly. (laughs) and YX hyung kept smiling while talking to us, so we felt close with each other.
YX: Welcome to UNIQ.
SJ: But you didn’t say that to me before. (laughs) YB is still the one who left a deep impression the most.

Q: Then what about YX’s impression?
SY: Welcome to UNIQ.
ALL: (bursts into laughter)
SY: When I first met YX hyung I thought he’s really cool. I’m not talking about appearance wise but based on his personality and character which is really good. He’s very gentle in speaking and it’s hard to find someone like him these days.
WH: I got a shock after seeing YX hyung’s white hair, a hairstyle where his sideburns on both sides were black. It can give a huge shock to everyone who sees it.
YB: I got the same shock after meeting YX hyung for the first time. Although he cut his hair on the second day but he got his hair sprayed and make his hair stand up which shocked everyone again.
SJ: Just like what I’ve said just now while meeting with the 3 Chinese members, YX was the first person that talked to me so I felt thankful towards him. I felt immediately at ease and he is like a hyung that I can rely on.

Q: And lastly what about SJ’s impression?
SY: The moment I saw him I already felt that he’s a Korean. (laughs) Because I was the last one to join the group and heard that there was a Korean in the group so I could immediately spot him. He gave me vibes of a Korean representative. (laughs) Then I thought to myself that I must also work hard!
WH: Although now is SJ, but originally it was SJ plus.
SY: What does that even mean?
WH: Just like iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+, his body size was much bigger than before so it’s like “plus”. (laughs)
YB: The first time we met was at the dorm and his shoulders were quite broad and he was wearing the same pants as me. (laughs) After eating our meals at the dorm we went to the practice room to practice our singing and he sang really well!
YX: SJ’s handsomeness is the same with an actor’s. (laughs) His singing was superb too…
SY: So your first impression of him is?
YX: Is just….
SY: An actor?  (laughs)
YX: A very handsome dongsaeng. (laughs)

Q: In “Best Friend”, SJ and WH sang the lyrics in Japanese. What are your thoughts about it?
SJ: Because it is our first time singing a song in Japanese so we are quite nervous, but then it was easy during the recording. Japanese itself gives off a gentle feel and especially where there were already two versions of Korean and Chinese. We are really happy to be able to release a Japanese version for it this time.
WH: At first I thought that Japanese intonations were quite easy, but the moment we started recording I realized that it was difficult, but yet again believing that I can do my best to complete this.

Q: Since the song is called “Best Friend”, could you introduce your best friends to us?
SY: The members are all best friends. I have 4 close friends, the Korean friends which I’ve made while living in Philippines when I was younger. Currently we still remain as good friends, when we go out together, the person who has money will pay for the bill. It has become a habit during these kind of situations, to be able to go out together without having much thoughts, that’s how best friends should be!
SJ: When I was younger I moved houses frequently, so I don’t really have a long term friend. The members are my best friends, because we’ve been together for a long period of time and we understand each other more than best friends and we rely on each other a lot too. The lyrics of “Best Friend” also relay the message of wishing fans’ happiness, no matter how difficult things are, as long as everyone continues on supporting us, the fans together as well as the 5 members are all best friends.
WH: The 5 of us are not best friends! Why? Because we are family!
SY: Oh, what you said is right!

Q: Other than SY, there are no reactions from the others. (laughs) What about you, YB?
YB: (looks at other members) How should I say?
SY: I also think that we are not best friends, we are brothers!
YB: Yes, I think of it like this too!

Q: YX, what do you think? You haven’t express any of your ideas yet.
YX: To me, I only have my members, so my members are my best friends!
ALL: Wow…… (claps)

Q: In the beginning you guys mentioned about the sports day held last November 1st in Korea together with fans, so would you guys be doing something together with Japanese fans in the future?
SY: I felt happy during the sports day event, it would be great if we can hold another sports day event again. But before that I would like to learn Japanese well. During the sports day event last time, there were also fans who rushed from Japan. SJ hyung is the only person who can speak Japanese, but they joined my group and we could only interact with each other by using our body language. So I would like to learn Japanese well and have more opportunities while interacting with Japanese fans in future.
SJ: I would also like to hold a sports day event in Japan. Although this time it was held in Korea, but there were fans that came from Japan, China and other countries. Although we speak in different languages, but after doing something together with them, our relationship with fans became closer than ever. It’s just like playing football with a friend in elementary getting closer after that. So if there are opportunities, regardless of whether a sports day event or an outing event and etc, it would be great if we could hold an event (here).
YX: I want to go mountain climbing with fans.

Q: Mountain climbing at Mount Fuji?
SY: I heard winter at Mount Fuji is really beautiful!
YX: If it’s during winter I would like to go skiing too, if it’s during spring I would want to go see cherry blossoms.
YB: I would like to play games with fans. (laughs)
SY: WH hyung, what about you then? Play basketball?
WH: We have played basketball during the sports day event, so it’s swimming next time.

Q: If it’s swimming, then everyone would be wearing their swimming outfits…
WH: Of course! (laughs)

Q: WH is originally a swimming athlete, we can see WH’s amazing body then!
WH: I will exercise and keep my body in shape till then!
SY: Why can’t you let us see your body now!
WH: It’s not like that, you can see it now too!
SY: Yesterday I saw WH’s body, you can’t show it now! (laughs)

Q: “2015 ASIA TOUR 1ST BIRTHDAY” fan meeting starting from the 15th consecutively in Nagoya, Osaka, Fukuoka and Tokyo, how are you guys preparing it?
SJ: It was really successful!
SY: We have been preparing more different types of performances compared to the last time we came. During this whole year, we have been working hard in showing our individual charms and felt that it was a main focus for the concert this time.
Q: Then could you introduce an extraordinary part of the performance that has been showcased this time?
SY: Rather than having a part that was to be emphasized, I was more of hoping that everyone’s attention could be more focused on what way of expression that I am using. Hopefully everyone could enjoy the stage performances like I do.
WH: About me…
SY: Mr. Sexy? (laughs)
WH: No, I want everyone to see me playing the guitar, not only the quiet type of guitar plays but there are some interesting parts as well in order to showcase the contrast sense of it.
YB: For me it’s dancing. Recently I’m really into dancing. Hopefully everyone could give attention when I’m dancing happily.
YX: Previously I been giving everyone a gentle feel, this time around I would like to showcase more of my cool appearance (on stage).
SJ: More masculinity.
SY: Sense of looking strong.
YX: Yeah, that is how we would like to showcase to everyone.
SJ: I really like Bruno Mars and my favourite type of music genre is rock. I’ll be singing a rock song for my solo performance this time so everyone please anticipate it!

Q: And lastly let’s have SJ to close this interview with a message for this tour.
SJ: This is our 2nd time performing in Japan, so we are diligently preparing for this tour. Because of the performance we had last time that made us understand how we could make everyone to give positive reactions, so we have prepared a more interesting and special stage performances for everyone. Please kindly anticipate it and hope that you can continue to support us. And also Japanese fans can actively cooperate with us, so let’s all go high together!   

original link: here
trans: jiji (@wenjoox) | 水水 
PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OUT WITHOUT CREDITS. Thank you. 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.